- it seems to show the highest application performance compared to other APIs;
- it supports the biggest number of operating systems;
- there are some free web-based development environments like Aptana Studio and any text editor can be used as well;
- Esri provides access to multiple out-of-the-box ArcGIS.com viewers.
I have also thought to share some resources which are worth a look. I have organized them in a list with a concise description to give you a general understanding of the purpose.
- A great collection of best practices in web development is available on the Mozilla Web site.
- Jsonlint is a very popular Json validator.
- JSLint is another good resource for code quality validation and finding typos.
- Google Chrome Developer Tools is a great web development toolset from Google.
And just one more thing for those who need to check the code coming in multiple files. WinDiff is a very neat, free utility for comparing the contents of the HTML/JS files to figure out in what parts they differ.